Beyond its cost and aesthetic advantages, the composite elevated tank offers some unique functional benefits:
- The efficient use of materials, with concrete in compression and the tensile strength of steel for watertight containment
- The efficient transmission of loads, with the steel tank transferring the weight of the water to the concrete ring beam and pedestal
- Maintenance-free support
- A strong structural roof with easy access
- And dry, protected space inside the pedestal for a variety of multiple use options
The concrete pedestal of the composite elevated tank is exposed only to the seasonal variations of weather, a mild exposure in comparison to the aggressive environment associated with other successful structural concrete applications such as roads, bridges and hydraulic structures. The concrete pedestal provides excellent durability and, aside from the power washing of environmental effects where local conditions dictate, requires no maintenance.
Multiple use options and appurtenances
Many municipalities take advantage of the pedestal interior for obvious applications such as equipment or vehicle storage and pump stations, but others have added not-so-obvious solutions:
- Chlorination facilities
- Secure document storage on several levels
- Satellite fire stations
- Emergency response stations
- Water system monitoring and control operations
- Office space finish-outs with multiple floors, elevators, and a full complement of windows
Inside and out, Landmark can include additional piping systems; access ladders, landings, platforms and hatches; safety and feature lighting; fall protection; freeze protection where required…as well as income generating assets such as cellular antenna systems integrated at the design stage. Landmark can also work with you to address emerging opportunities to “green” municipal infrastructure with water recycling and power generation programs.
For more examples of the possibilities, visit the Special interest projects section.
The more you know about composite elevated tanks, the clearer your decision will be—based on a compelling combination of functional, economic and aesthetic benefits.
Need convincing? Check out these expert commentaries.